More than just a chip off the old block

Batting against Whitland recently - pic taken 
from www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/sport
With over 700 runs and 32 wickets to his name it's fair to say Tom Davies is having a season to be proud of.

Topping the batting charts at the half way point and second place in the bowling, he's the county's premier all-rounder at this point in time and arguably the county's best cricketer which is no mean feat given the names making up the list of Pembrokeshire best batsmen and bowlers. They're all impressive players.

Now, aged 27 and in his ninth season as a first team player at Carew he's playing at the peak of his powers, opening the batting and bowling of one of Pembrokeshire's most prestigious clubs and revelling in the chance to bat in one spot and making it his own.

It was at the end of last season that he was asked to open the innings and it was a move that immediately paid off being not out in every game he played. 

The form hasn't tailed off. As the 2019 season draws to a close he's averaging over 70 with his trusted Millichamp and Hall blade having found a new maturity and understanding of his game.

"Like a lot of teams we've struggled with availability and I think that's helped me in a way. Work and other commitments has meant we've fielded a different team virtually every week and I've been one of the constants.

"I've had the chance to bat in one place and that consistency has helped. I'm able to build an innings and graft for my runs and then go for it at the end. It's amazing how many runs you can make up at towards the end of an innings after you've done the hard work.

"I definitely value them because of it. I don't want to get out. I may be slow in some areas but if you hang in there the runs will come.

"It's not just about hitting boundaries, it's about rotating the strike and earning your runs. Dad always used to say that you can be positives in other ways and rotating the strike is one of them. It's not always easy, people are entitled to bowl well."

It can't be easy following in the footsteps of a Pembrokeshire cricket legend either. Tom, the son of the late, great Aled Davies who passed away last year will always be compared to him by others but for Tom there's no need. "I gave up worrying about that years ago, I know I'll never be as good as him," he says candidly.

"He bowled Mike Atherton out when playing for Wales against Cambridge University, how can I compare to that? he jokes."I love the fact I'm Aled's son, I know a lot of people because of it."

How can he compare to the wickets of Athers? Well, there is Kieron Carlson for starters, having snared the Glamorgan batsmen while playing for Pembrokeshire the other week and locally, there's Daniel Sutton, Simon Cole, Adam Chander and the holy grail of all of them, Simon Holliday.

It's a roll call of quality swordsmiths, a line up of batsmen that could cause fear and panic among many bowlers but not Davies, he just takes it all in his stride.

"I don't tend to worry about my bowling or getting hit for six or if I'm bowling and they need six to win. There's no point in worrying about it.

"I got into the team as a bowler initially so I know I can bowl."

Others didn't, he was only given the chance when the 2nds were short of bowlers and he offered to do it. He hasn't looked back since.

Maybe he hasn't, but he'll definitely look back at this season in years to come. 

With statistics like he's got, who wouldn't?

Two quality cricketers. Pictured with his late father Aled

Comments

  1. Hey all,
    how are you doing.
    I read this amazing article and found that it is actually very good and has information for all.
    Btw do read this aamzing guide on Prediction hub– Live Match Score, Dream11 Tips
    .
    I hope you will like this information.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

  2. Your trusted money lender in the World
    If you are looking for a Cash or financial loan with low interest rate and fast approval,
    look no where, we provide suitable and affordable repayment plan for you
    Fast and Instant loan from $500 to $800k
    Singaporeans and Foreigners are welcome.
    We keep all Customers information confidential

    NO Deposit Needed
    NO Guarantor Required
    Contact our Financial Advisor.
    Call or Whatsapps +31-635-250-311 (WhatsApp Only)
    mail: gaincreditloan1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. I have been looking for something like this for year’s thank you! Are you searching for sports data API? If yes, there is no better information that BetsAPI who provide live information about betting API of games!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top cut

Censored